Wednesday, July 11, 2012
Joseph Teautle Vann lived in the Hightower District Cherokee Nation East and at Beaver Pond, where he lived when he and his family emigrated to Indian Territory in 1829.
He was elected member of the Constitutional Convention at New Echota, Georgia in 1827 and signed the new Constitution. He succeeded Blackcoat as second Chief of the Western Cherokees in 1833. He was a member of the Downing Party and was elected Assistant Chief on September 9, 1839 and 1859, was a resident of the Saline District, at this time living on what is now the Cavlier Ranch. He was president of the senate 1834-44 from the Saline District, he was associate judge of the Supreme Court 1847, delegate to Washington 1845-1851, and 1872 and on the Executive Council 1853-55-57-59. On account of the vigorus protest of the Old Settlers and Treaty Party, on unequal representation, a new alignment of officers was agreed upon by a joint committee of the factions at Ft. Gibson on October 26, 1840, Joseph resigned his office of Assistant Chief and was succeeded by his brother Andrew M. Vann. He was recommended for appointment on the Old Settlers Commission in 1846, he taught school in Spavinaw Vale 1858, he organized a meeting in 1862 encouraging Cherokees to join the Confedery. His slaves all escaped shorly before the Civil War. He was a private in Company C of Stand Watie's army, he was a member of a delegation to the International Congress of Indians at Okmulgee September 26, 1870. He could speak the Cherokee language fluently and was highly respected by all who knew him, having filled many positions of trust for his people. Joseph died May 3, 1877 and was buried in the Cavalier/Vann Cemetery which he started in 1833, several members of his family are buried here. He was a brother of Keziah Vann who married Robert Webber. They wer the parent of Margaret Webber, mother of John T. and Sallie Cavalier, David Vann and Leliah Crutchfield.
Joseph came here in 1829 and settled near Spring Creek, which is now the Cavalier Ranch. His first house burned during or right after the Civil War and the front two rooms of the present home was built after the fire.
Written by Jon Cavalier